Some of the the girls abducted from a school in Dapchi town have been released, Awijare News can confirm.
Information from sources in Dapchi indicated that the girls were brought back and dumped in the village by unknown persons believed to be Boko Haram militants in the wee hour of Wednesday morning.
The presidency however confirmed the release via a tweet: “Details about the released Dapchi girls will be made available in due course. The girls are now in the custody of the Department of State Services (DSS), in Dapchi”.
It also said the State Security Service, also called DSS, “will be briefing the President and the nation in the course of the day”.
In the same vein, the Information Minister, Alhaji Lai Mohammed also confirmed the release,
According the Minister, the girls were released at about 3.00 a.m Wednesday through “back-channel efforts” and with the help of some friends of the country.
”For the release to work, the government had a clear understanding that violence and confrontation would not be the way out as it could endanger the lives of the girls, hence a non-violent approach was the preferred option,” he said.
”Within the period when the girls were being brought back, operational pause was observed in certain areas to ensure free passage and also that lives were not lost,” Mr. Mohammed said.
Meanwhile, it appears the government is a bit confused on the number of released girls. While a press statement released by Information Minister, Lai Mohammed, said 76 girls were released, a video of an interview granted State House correspondents showed him saying “91 girls and one boy released”. The video was posted on the Presidency’s Twitter handle.
Some other informants had earlier claimed that 104 girls were released, 5 dead while 1 refused to leave the Boko Haram custody